Based on the recent uptick in the virus, current 100-person limits in phase 4, the advice of state experts and our partner Metro Health, and the need to give you time to make other plans, we are cancelling the August 22 event and moving forward with the Deferment Credit or Race on Your Own options that we anticipated in the last update that we would need to do. We did everything we could to see if we could pull off a large group race. We’re sorry it can’t happen and are looking forward to seeing you race on your own, at next year’s race or at our Dirty Duel in November. We’re grateful for the ability and freedom to run during these uncertain times and hope you are too. Here are your options:
1. Race on Your Own (Luton or virtual). By Aug. 23, go into your RunReg account (or register if you haven’t), click Edit, and answer the new question to indicate you want to race on your own (or with your social “bubble”). If you can’t access your account, email email@example.com and also indicate which West MI Gazelle Sports store you want to get your finisher awards from. Do the Hurt the Dirt race course OR any dirt trail anytime from July 22 through August 23. If you race at Luton, record your time online. Simply run the Green loop to Blue to Black to Red to Green (skip the Black extension that’s “inside” the Blue loop and skip the extra Green loop that heads east near the end).
Everyone selecting this option will get a $35 package of swag. You can pick up the items below at Gazelle Sports Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo or Holland (starting August 1 and continuing into early September).
- Camp-style, stainless steel pint as your finisher award
- Michigan Adventure Racing buff ($15) in exchange for the lunch (sad to miss this!)
$10 gift certificate to Gazelle Sports. Because many of the 144 possible age group winners would have 0-2 racers in them due the smaller number of you choosing to race, Gazelle Sports has generously
offered to provide gift certificates to ALL of you who want to race on your own!
- If you race at Luton, record your time online and see how you compare to others. You can include a link to your run if you wish, but it’s not required. Although we won’t do
- the normal 144 age group prizes, we will have some special TBD prizes for the top overall racers. Post your time to be eligible.
2. (DEFAULT) Defer Your Entry. If you don’t indicate you want to race on your own by Aug. 22, you will automatically receive a 100% deferment credit good for 2021 or 2022 for Hurt the Dirt… or the Dirty Duel on Nov. 14. Do nothing and you will get the 100% credit – a credit code will be emailed to you. You’ll also get full cash back on any shirts, merchandise, parking passes or spectator lunches you purchased. No need to email us. You are NOT automatically entered into the 2021 Hurt the Dirt. We want to give you the flexibility to use the credit in several ways. You can use it on either Hurt or Duel or some of both, next year or in 2022. If you only use some of the credit, you will have the remainder for another race.
Team Orphans was going to be our charity partner this year. They provide adoption grants to families adopting kids with special needs. Great cause. We can’t provide the usual share of race profits since we have to spread them over two years. If you can help them out with a small contribution to help make up the difference, that would be great.