Adverse Weather Policy
Threatening Weather Before the Race
If a Tornado Warning, Tornado Watch, or Severe Thunderstorm exists prior to the race (per National Weather Service alert) and you have not arrived at the race, stay there until the warning or watch expires. If you are en route and too far away to turn around, drive to Cornerstone Wesleyan Church, 8331 Myers Lake Ave NE, Rockford, and seek shelter there. There is NO shelter at Luton Park.
If a thunderstorm (not indicated as severe by NWS) exists prior to the race, make your way to the shuttle lot, or, if you have a parking pass, to the Luton parking lot. Wait in your vehicle until we come by with the “all clear.” An all clear will be given when lightning or thunder has cleared the area for 30 minutes. We will make sure everyone has time to do what needs to be done before the start. If you are delayed in your travel, we will simply start you off when you are ready since your race is chip-timed.
If sustained Winds of 25 MPH, gusting to 35 MPH, exist prior to the race, proceed to the start/finish at Luton as normal. We will make the call on whether the race will be delayed (or potentially cancelled) from there. If winds do not subside, we will have a nice lunch at least.
Adjusted Start/Finish Times
We are not going to set a time at which a delayed race becomes a cancelled race but with a final cut-off time of 2:45 for the marathon, our goal would be to fit in all the races by roughly this time so that we can release volunteers by then (most are scheduled to be released at 2:00 pm) and not incur cost increases for ambulance, shuttle, chip timing, DJ, etc.
Threatening Weather During the Race
We expect to delay or cancel the race due to threatening weather BEFORE you start running. However, if you are out on the course during any of these conditions, don’t wait for a signal. Immediately make your way back to the start/finish. We will communicate race stoppages to the volunteers at the aid stations who will spread out on foot and ATV and call out the weather delay. Immediately make your way to the start/finish and take shelter in one of the vehicles in the lot or shuttle back to your vehicle. Everyone with a vehicle please welcome shuttle people into your vehicle.
Authority to Cancel the Event
The Race Director, in accordance with local law enforcement, has the authority to cancel the races. If threatening weather conditions force cancellation of the event, no refunds will be provided due to significant upfront costs.
Communication of Cancellation
We will make every attempt to alert you of cancellation by email in advance of the race. Otherwise, you will be alerted at the shuttle lot or start/finish.
Lightning Safety Considerations:
The following are personal lightning safety tips from the National Lightning Safety
- Avoid water. Avoid the high ground. Avoid open spaces.
- Avoid all metal objects including electric wires, fences, machinery, motors, power tools, etc.
- Unsafe places include underneath canopies, small picnic or rain shelters, or near trees.
- Where possible, find shelter in a substantial building or in a fully enclosed metal vehicle such as a car, truck or a van with the windows completely shut.
- If lightning is striking nearby when you are outside, you should:
- Get off bodies of water immediately
- Crouch down. Put feet together. Place hands over ears to minimize hearing damage from thunder.
- Avoid proximity (minimum of 15 ft.) to other people.
- Apply first aid procedures to a lightning victim if you are qualified to do so. Injured persons DO NOT carry an electrical change and can be handled safety. Call 911 or send for help.