Luton Park, Rockford
Race at Luton Park, one of the top trail systems in the state. Luton is a 100% flowing, dirt singletrack through hardwood forest and meadow. While narrow and a bit challenging in many areas, the trails still provide plenty of passing opportunities. Hang out with us after the race as we celebrate with a pig roast, delicious deli sides and fresh fruit (tentative per COVID).
The average morning temperatures are in the 60s and low 70s on July 31 in Rockford. We will likely shift all races an hour earlier than normal as well. One of the benefits of living in Michigan is temperate summer weather!
quarter marathon – (one 6.55 mile loop)
half marathon (2 loops)
marathon (4 loops)
free kids’ run (approx. 1/2 to 2/3 mile loop)
Under 15, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+. Wood medals for the top 2 or 3. Sponsor prizes too.
The half marathon is part of the Michigan Runner Race Series.
5950 10 Mile Rd NE, Rockford, MI 49341
Most racers must proceed to the shuttle lot. See below.
1. At start/finish. Pay $5 per vehicle to park at the trailhead lot. You must buy a parking pass online (RunReg site). First come, first served. All parking revenue will go directly to Kent County Parks.
Marathoners: Your entry fee includes a parking pass to the 10 Mile lot; it will be mailed to you. The shuttle will NOT be available for marathoners. We will email you your parking pass so that you can park in the lot.
2. Shuttle lot. Free parking/shuttle at Crossroads Wesleyan Church, one mile east. Address is 8331 Myers Lake Ave NE, Rockford, MI 49341. Or run a one-mile warm-up west on 10 Mile to the start. The shuttles will run until at least 1:00 pm; volunteers will shuttle you after that. Thanks to Crossroads for opening up their doors and offering restrooms and refreshments.
You may NOT park on Olde Meadow Drive across from the Luton parking lot. It is a private drive.
Early check-in is from 4:00-7:00 pm, Friday, the day before the race, at Gazelle Sports in Grand Rapids, 3930 28th ST (tentative per COVID). You do not need to show proof of registration. Just know your race number which we’ll send to you before Friday. And $5 for the parking lot pass if there are any left (purchase online from registration site). If you do early check-in, you can skip it Saturday morning. Just leave enough time to take the shuttle (20 minutes to be safe) if you don’t have the pass.
The timeline may change due to date change and/or State of MI Health Department restrictions on outdoor event size. Stay tuned.
6:00 am Luton Park 10 Mile lot opens (requires pass)
6:00 am marathon check-in begins
7:00 am marathon start (tentative)
7:15 am shuttle begins from Crossroads Church for half and quarter marathon
7:15 am quarter/half check-in begins (finish at least 25 minutes before start time)
8:30 am quarter marathon start (waves).
9:00 am half marathon start (waves)
9:45 am kids fun run
9:30 am – 1:00 pm brunch/lunch
1:00 pm shuttle bus ends; volunteers take over shuttling duties
1:45 pm cut-off for all racers (subject to race director’s discretion)
(times may change) Starting quarter marathoners before the half marathoners greatly reduces congestion. Quarter marathoners will see only a handful of marathoners, if any, on their first lap. Half marathoners and marathoners will have fewer racers to pass or passing them as no quarter marathoners will be on the course and the field will be spread thin by 9:00 am.
(times may change) Marathoners who complete their third lap by 11:30 pm may finish one more loop but may be pulled off the course by 1:45 pm so volunteers can go home and we don’t have to pay overtime for medical support. Race director’s decision. This 11:30 cut-off equates to 1 hour and 30 minutes per lap or a 6-hour marathon. We will do our best to save food for you after your finish.
Kids/Family Fun Run
- The kids fun run will begin at 9:45 am. Free! No registration needed. The parent or guardian just needs to sign a waiver on race day. We’ll hand them out right at the trailhead and check-in tent. Lunch not included but can be purchased online for kids and adults.
- The loop is 2/3-3/4 mile long, on the youth bike trail and green loop. It is not timed.
- Parents should accompany young children. Older kids can run on their own at your discretion. PLEASE watch for adult race traffic on Green loop.
- Each child 12 and under will receive a finisher’s medal.
- The race shirt is an optional $15.
- Unisex crew or women’s v-neck.
- Shirts tend to run true to size for most.
- If you did not order one when you registered, you may purchase through the RunReg site through the Sunday before the race.
- We will have a small number of shirts available at the race but they go fast.
Michigan Adventure Racing Merchandise
(purchase online or available at early check-in and race day)
- Hoodie/sweatshirt $30
- Short sleeve ($17) and long sleeve ($22) shirts
- Buff headwear $10 ($18-$23 for most other brands)
- Extra stainless steel pint $10 ($15 on most race sites)
BEFORE THE RACE
- Campgrounds (seasonal): Indian Lakes, Scalley Lake, Wabasis Lake (usually full)
- Many hotel and home rentals in the area
- Enjoy Frederick Meijer Gardens, great outdoor dining, Lake Michigan beaches and other area attractions before or after the race.
- If you did not do early check-in, get your shirt, race/bib number, and safety pins on race day. Attach your number on the front of your shirt, jacket or pants. Do not fold it. This race is chip-timed.
- If you cannot attend the race, you must pick up your shirt BEFORE the start of the race. We have no way of knowing who will or will not be at the race so we reserve the right to sell your shirt once same-day check-in begins.
- Portajohns are located at the start/finish only.
Drop Bag Area
- We will have a drop bag tent and/or tarp for half marathoners and marathoners to grab or drop gear/fuel after each lap. Quarter marathoners may also leave items here while they run.
- Be aware that while this area will be next to the aid station and volunteers will keep an eye on it, we cannot guarantee the security of your items so please keep valuables locked and hidden in your vehicle.
- We would encourage you to invite friends and family to watch the race. They may walk along the Blue hub trail, just off trail (accessible via the Green trail) or hang out near the start/finish.
- Spectators must take the shuttle from Crossroads church unless they have a handicap sticker
- Spectators may purchase the lunch on the RunReg registration site.
- If we have sponsor prizes beyond for top finishers, we may hold a raffle (names likely will be drawn before the race from all registered racers)
DURING THE RACE
- See The Course page for a detailed map. Quarter marathon racers will run one loop, half marathoners will run two, and marathoners will run four loops. Same course.
- Aid stations will be available at the start/finish and on the Blue loop at the 1.5 (tentative) and 4 mile marks. We encourage runners to bring their own bottle(s) for fluids for during and/or after the race to reduce the amount of trash. Thanks!
AFTER THE RACE
- Please join us for lunch for our famous feast (tentative per COVID-19).
- Awards will be given out as the top finishers arrive. All finishers will receive the finishers award. It may be given out before the race.
Our charity partner is Team Orphans. Team Orphans works with 6 adoption agencies, including Bethany here in Grand Rapids, to provide adoption grants to families adopting kids with special needs. These include children with medical needs, keeping sibling groups together, and older children. In the last 10 years, Team Orphans has raised over $250,000 and helped dozens of kids with special needs come home to their forever families.
Thanks also to Kent County Parks for the use of Luton Park and the Kent County Parks Foundation for helping expand and enhance our park and trails system. To support Luton Park and all our great Kent County parks by volunteering or donating, visit the Kent County Parks Foundation.