Here are the unofficial results. If you notice a significant error, please email me at email@example.com.
Congratulations to all of you for a great race today. We were especially impressed with how all the first-timers and kids rocked it out there on a tough course and a hot day.
A big thanks to:
- All the volunteers, especially the crew from Alternatives in Motion. Consider supporting them in these ways. If my quick counting skills are correct, you helped raise $600 for them from parking fees alone (after covering our rental of the venue) so thank you for all the extra cash you gave! We’ll add that to the profit sharing once we calculate that and let you know the grand total on Facebook or email.
- Patagonia Footwear for its cool lounge and massive prize package – nearly $5,000.
- Gazelle Sports for prizes, booth, race clock, sound system, check-in, etc. Gazelle is also providing $5 gift certificates for all racers. Print it out and bring it in to any of their stores.
- New Balance, 8th Day Gym, Swiftwick, and Zanfel for their great prizes. If you’d like to be in the raffle for the $200 starter members at 8th Day Gym, please email me by Monday 9 am.
- Kent County Parks. This was the first competitive race ever allowed at Seidman. One way we can thank them is to support the Kent County Parks system. Check out the special $20 membership deal for racers on the flyer many of you received or go to the website.
We are fortunate to have such great local/national/global sponsors in West Michigan!
We’ve made notes on how to better mark the course and I know some of you realize you also misread signs. Besides the 1.2k turnoff that some 10kers took and the split trail after finishing the boardwalk which wasn’t marked (totally my fault, although timewise, it was only a few seconds difference), we’d like your feedback on all aspects of the race. It will only take a couple of minutes and will improve the race next time. Thanks!
Thanks to Michael Smith and team for ongoing photography of all Michigan Adventure Racing events. You can view or purchase photos at http://photo.smithtechgroup.com once they sort them by bib number. Leave your email with them and they’ll let you know when everything is ready for viewing.
Also thanks to Kent County Conservation League, Kingma’s Market for fruit, Tim Parks LC shirts and medals, and 3C Studio web design.
If you liked running on trails, maybe you’ll like running OFF trails. Try our Grand Rapids Urban Adventure Race: Summer Edition which mixes off-trail exploration/orienteering, canoeing, mountain and road biking, running, and Amazing Race/Survivor challenges. July 14 at Riverside Park or Fifth Third Ballpark.
Mark, for Brian, Greg and Matt
Upcoming Events (Michigan Adventure Racing events in green)
July 14 GRUAR summer edition, Riverside Park, downtown GR. 4- or 8-hour options.
July 28 Dirty Burg trail runs, Switchback Endurance, Cannonsburg Ski Area (10K just added)
Sept. 7-9 Infiterra Sports Adventure Rage. Caberfae Peaks. 28 hours. The ultimate adventure racing test!
Sept ? Hurt the Dirt? Under discussion…
Sept 30/Oct. 6 GRUAR ArtPrize edition, downtown GR. View the world’s best art competition/festival at the speed of adventure racing.
Oct. 27 The Zombie Dash 5k, downtown GR. One of the craziest 5ks you’ll ever do. Dusk to darkness. A Halloween experience like no other.